Some procedures require additional information like images, an EOB, a narrative, or other items to be attached to the claim. There are two ways to add attachments to claims: inside Open Dental with automated prompts when attachments are needed, and outside of Open Dental (with a reference in the attachments tab, if you’d like to do that). We’ll review both methods in this post.
ATTACHMENTS INSIDE OPEN DENTAL:
This is a fully integrated service through DentalXChange that is available when you are using ClaimConnect for e-claims. You will need to sign up for the DentalXChange Attachments Service to use this feature. Because this is a fully- integrated feature, everything is done from right inside Open Dental, streamlining the process and saving you time.
Once you are signed up, you will need to indicate in your Clearinghouse Setup that you want to Allow sending attachments. There is also an option here to save copies of your attachments in the patient’s imaging module.
If you are checking the box to save DXC Attachments to the Imaging Module, you will need to take these additional steps:
- Go to Setup, Definitions, Image Categories.
- Click +Add to create a new Category (folder) for Attachments.
- Under Usage, check Claim Attachments
- Say OK.
When you create a claim:
- If attachments are needed (based on the procedures on the claim), you will get a popup asking if you’d like to launch the attachments service.
- Required attachments will be displayed in the Claim Validation Status box (see below).
Use the buttons in the upper-right to add an image, use the snipping tool to grab an image from your screen, or paste an image from your clipboard to get the necessary attachments added to the claim.
TECH TIP: Use the Narrative box in the attachments tool instead of adding it in the claim, as the narrative here allows much more room. The narrative here also allows the use of QuickPaste Notes to quickly input frequently-used narratives.
Once attachments are sent:
- A popup will indicate the attachments were sent to DentalXChange successfully.
- A record of attachments can be found in the Attachments tab, DXC section in the claim. You’ll be able to reference and provide this number to insurance if there is ever a question about an attachment sent on a claim.
- If you checked the box to save attachments to the Imaging Module and set up your default folder, all attachments will be saved there.
Now that your attachments have been submitted, you can send your claim (or just say ok to save it to send in a batch from the Manage Module at the end of the day.
NOTE: If additional attachments are needed after a claim is sent, we recommend logging into the DentalXChange portal and attaching additional items there.
ATTACHMENTS OUTSIDE OF OPEN DENTAL:
Using FastAttach or other Attachments Service
FastAttach (Also known as NEA FastAttach) was acquired by Vyne Dental and is an option for electronic attachments. To register and use this for claim attachments, go to https://vynedental.com/fastattach/.
Other clearinghouses may offer attachments services. Please contact your clearinghouse for their preferred attachment method.
Referencing These Attachments in Your Claim
If you are using claim attachments outside of Open Dental, you can document information about those attachments in the claim, for information purposes only. Open the claim in Open Dental, and in the attachments tab, select NEA/Manual. Document attachments sent and any reference number. The information documented here is for informational purposes only but you may find it useful to have this information as part of your claim record.
Whether it’s attachments or help with anything else in the program, our support team is here for you. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you need our help!