You’ve wished your patients a Happy New Year, and have closed the doors to your practice for the last time this year. As you wave goodbye to your patients and to 2021, there are a few things to do to end the year on a high note and ensure a terrific start in 2022. Preparation now is key, and this post is here to help.
If your office is located in the US, be sure to update to version 21.2.47 or 21.3.22 or greater. This will give you access to the latest CDT Codes and the latest Open Dental features.
The new 2022 CDT codes list includes 16 new codes, 14 revisions, and 6 deletions. See our video for information on how to update!
As the new year begins, you may want to analyze your office fees. If your office needs to update or increase fees for the new year, this can be easily done in Open Dental. Prefer to watch & learn? Check out our webinar.
In Open Dental, Go to Lists > Procedure Codes.
- First, make a backup copy of your current fees. This is a preventative measure.
- Select Fee Schedules > Add.
- Name the fee schedule for your current fees (e.g. 2021 Office Fees) and close the fee schedules window.
- Click Fee Tools.
- Select your current fee schedule in the Select Fees fee schedule dropdown.
- Select the newly created fee schedule in the Copy To fee schedule dropdown.
- Click Copy and close the window.
- Select Fee Schedules.
- Optional: Double-click the new fee schedule that is now a copy of your current fees. Check Hidden.
You now have an archived copy of your old fees and can proceed with making updates.
To increase all fees by a percentage:
- Click Fee Tools.
- In the Select Fees fee schedule dropdown, choose the fee schedule that is currently in use (not the copy).
- In the Increase by % , Enter the percentage to increase the fees (you may also enter a negative number to decrease fees).
- Choose how to round your fees.
- Click Increase.
- If you are sure you want to increase (or decrease) all fees, click OK on the warning.
If you are not looking to change all fees, individual procedure fees can be changed from the Procedure Codes list by selecting the applicable fee schedule and typing in the new fees manually. Once procedure fees are changed, your office may want to update fees for treatment planned procedures.
To update fees for all patients:
- Click Fee Tools
- Click Update Proc Fees Only to update procedure fees and/or Update Estimates Only to update insurance estimates and writeoffs
- Review any warning and click OK to proceed with updating fees
- Fees for all patients and all changed fee schedules are now updated
To update fees for a single patient:
- Select the patient.
- Navigate to the Treatment Plan Module.
- Click Update Fees in the top toolbar.
- A confirmation message will appear, click OK to proceed with updating fees.
Canada Users – Fee Guides
As fee guides become available, they are added to our manual here. Check back routinely to see if your fee guide has become available.
- The Ontario Dental Association (ODA) fee guide will be available in a future update. First update Open Dental, then enter your fee guide password when prompted. Check our manual page noted above for details.
- The British Columbia Dental Association (BCDA) fee guide will be available in a future update. First update Open Dental, then enter your fee guide password when prompted. Check our manual page noted above for details.
- The Association des chirurgiens dentistes du Québec (ACDQ) fee guide is only available upon request. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make sure to set up your provider schedule so you can search for future appointments by Provider, and use the Make Recall button to quickly schedule the patient’s next recall appointment. Operatories and Schedules must be set up if you would like to use Web Sched eServices that allow patients to schedule their own appointments online.
If you are utilizing Time Cards within Open Dental, make sure your pay periods are set up for the next year.
- In Open Dental, go to Setup, Manage, Time Cards.
- Click Generate Many.
3. The Pay Period Manager window will open.
4. Enter the Start Date to begin creating pay periods. This will default to the next date needed in a pay period based on when the last pay period ended.
5. Depending on how pay periods are set up for your practice, enter the necessary criteria, then click Generate.
For details on entering criteria, see our Manual.
6. Verify the dates listed on the right match the pay periods and pay dates for your practice. Then click OK to save.
Whether it’s finishing the year on a high note or preparing for a great start to 2022, we’re here for you! If you need help, there are several ways to reach our support team: chat, email, or give us a call.
Categories: Open Dental, Tips & Tricks, Training, Your Software
A penny for your thoughts...