The Account Module is where your patients’ financial information is stored. There are too many great features in the Account Module to review them all in detail here, so we’ll focus on the basics. Look for links to additional resources at the end of this post for the rest!
There are several numbers throughout the module that help you see the patient balance and insurance estimate.
Family Aging: This grid displays the aging for the family balance. These amounts show the full balance, regardless of insurance estimates or expected write-offs.
Total: Displays the total balance for the family. It does not take into account insurance estimates or expected write-offs.
-InsEst: Displays expected insurance payments for the entire family. This number only updates whenever a claim has been created or received.
=Est. Bal: Displays the estimated balance for the entire family, after insurance estimates and write-offs have been calculated.
Pat Est Bal: Displays the estimated patient portion due for the selected patient.
Unearned: Displays the amount of money that is not attached to a procedure or is associated with an Unearned Type (like a pre-payment).
The Select Patient grid also displays the full balance for each patient, and family balance at the bottom. Click a patient to quickly view their account, or click Entire Family to see them all together.
The Show tab is a great tool to customize what you see by applying filters to the Patient Ledger.
Use the Start/End dates or the date buttons to filter the ledger. Click Refresh to show the filtered results in the Ledger.
Show Proc Breakdowns: Check to show information such as the insurance paid amount, write-offs, patient portion, and amounts paid for individual procedures.
In this example, you can see the full fee was $204. The patient paid $28.80, insurance paid $155.20, and the write-off was $20.00.
Show Family Comm Entries: Check this box to show commlogs for the family, or uncheck it to just see commlogs for the selected patient.
At the bottom of the Account Module, you can view commlogs related to the family.
Note: The Name column populates based on the selected patient. If you are selected on the patient related to the commlog, the box is blank. When filled, it shows the first name of the patient associated with the commlog.
Show Completed Pay Plans: If the family had a payment plan in the past that is now complete, check this box to display it. See our Manual for details and information about Payment Plans.
The ledger can become a bit overwhelming as more and more work is completed for a patient. Couple that with adjustments, overpayments, supplemental payments, and other oddities, it can be difficult to keep everything straight.
Here are some tips:
- The ledger is organized by date. (e.g. payment date, service date, claim sent date, etc).
- Single-click on an item to show the attached procedures. In this example, we clicked on a claim, and the associated procedures and claim payment were highlighted.
- Attaching procedures to payments is vital. If you take a payment today for a procedure completed 3 months ago, you want to associate the procedure to the payment (see Paysplits). This helps you know exactly how much was paid to a procedure. It avoids overpayments, and allows you to pinpoint the procedures that still have a patient portion due.
- Write-offs happen on claims only. Use Adjustments for everything else (like an office discount).
Read our three-part series that covers multiple account-related features in detail:
- Managing Your Patient Accounts Part 1: All About Claims
- Managing Your Patient Accounts Part 2: Adjustments and Account Procs Quick Add
- Managing Your Patient Accounts Part 3: Repeating & Recurring Charges and Payment Plans
Watch our Account Module Playlist on Youtube!
What tips and tricks do you have that help you manage your patient accounts? Comment below!
As always, if you need assistance with the Account Module or any other part of Open Dental, feel free to Contact Us.