We love sharing Open Dental use tips with you! In this Tips & Tricks post, we will discuss:
- How to print a blank claim form
- When to create additional billing types
- How to print Progress Notes (even limit to a specific date range)
- How to provide patient records (Continuity of Care Document)
1. How to print a blank claim form
In the Manage Module, click on Send Claims, then select Blank.
2. When to create additional billing types
Billing Types are a great way to keep patients organized.
Some examples of common billing types include:
- Standard – your typical patient
- Do Not Bill – for the Doctor’s family, for example
- Sent to Collections – Easily identify patients who have been sent to collections
Then when running monthly billing, you can easily exclude certain patients. You will also be able to exclude patients on reports that have Billing Type filters.
A change in Billing Type can also be used as part of Automation to restrict appointment scheduling (i.e. Appointment scheduling could be restricted for patients once they are assigned a certain Billing Type.)
3. Print Progress Notes (even filter for a date range)
If you need to print progress notes, take these steps:
- Go to the Chart Module
- Click on the Show Tab
- Customize your date range if needed (red arrow)
- Right-click in the Progress Notes area (outlined) and select Print Progress Notes
4. How to provide patient records
Your patient is moving, and they’ve asked for a copy of their records to give to their new dentist. What’s the best way to do this?
Starting in version 21.4, you can provide a Continuity of Care Document (CCD). We also believe this document satisfies most of the requirements of the 21st Century CURES Act which requires that healthcare providers provide information access to their patients. Need to update your software? Watch this video.
The CCD can be accessed in two places:
The Chart Module:
With the patient selected, click the CCD button in the Toolbar, then either show and print, or export to a file.
Patients can view their own CCD in the Patient Portal.
For this to show for patients:
– Have SNOMED CT Codes and CVX codes downloaded (see Importing Code Systems)
– Have ModuleCareSummary checked in Patient Portal Settings.
Our support team can help you in different ways depending on your need. If you need us to connect to your computer to troubleshoot, please give us a call. If you need help finding something or have a quick question, try our online chat for quick help right away!
Categories: Tips & Tricks
A penny for your thoughts...