How do I chart supernumerary teeth?
Patients with supernumerary teeth can have procedures charted and sent to insurance using the process below.
- Chart procedure as normal.
- On the Procedure, change the tooth number.
- For supernumerary teeth, valid values are 51-82 and AS-TS.
- For Permanent supernumerary teeth, add 50 to the tooth number (tooth 1 = 51).
- For Primary supernumerary teeth, add an S (tooth A = AS).
- Click OK.
Procedures for supernumerary teeth do not show on the graphical tooth chart, but they do get billed to insurance. To show a supernumerary tooth on the graphical tooth chart use the Draw tool to draw in a tooth.
Where can I find a list of patients with treatment that hasn’t been scheduled yet?
The Treatment Finder Report will give you a list of patients that have treatment that needs to be scheduled. This report is often used when patients may be better able to afford treatment (like during tax refund season, or as COVID relief payments have been issued), and also at the end of the year, to encourage patients to schedule treatment before insurance benefits expire.
When you first run this report, it will, by default, display:
- Have treatment planned procedures (does not include procedures with a $0 fee).
- Have no scheduled appointment.
- Have insurance with a benefit year that follows the calendar year.
Use the available filters to limit to certain procedures, a certain provider, include patients without insurance, etc.
Insurance sent an additional payment or reduced their original payment on a claim. How do I process this?
Supplemental Payments in Open Dental can include additional payments, or negative amounts (e.g. insurance reduces a payment). Like any insurance payment, you must receive it, then finalize the payment by attaching it to the claim.
- Open the claim, select the procedure the supplemental payment applies to, then click Supplemental.
- Enter the payment amount in the Ins Pay column, then click OK.
- On the Edit Claim window, click This Claim Only if finalizing a single claim, or Batch if finalizing for a batch payment.
- Enter the amount and verify the attached claim(s).
- Once created, supplemental payments will display as an additional line item in the grid of procedures with the Status of Supp.
See more on our Supplemental Insurance Payments manual page.
There are several ways to reach our support team for help.